Tuesday, February 26, 2013

Gracious

I am putting together (writing) something for small group that has to do with the virtue of being Gracious. I chose the topic. I am now finding it ironic that I chose that particular topic since I am currently struggling with possessing this particular virtue right now. Well, who isn't? I guess I mean in the past week it has been particularly difficult. I have categorized my thoughts into two categories; 1) being gracious and 2) receiving graciousness. So, what did I do first when starting research??? Looked up the definition. There are several, but here is what most say:

Gracious (according to the Bible Encyclopedia) - "to favor," "to show kindness" to an inferior and "to be compassionate."
Mostly this word is used in the Bible to describe God and his favor, mercy, and kindness.

First thing in the definition that struck me was the fact that being gracious was to favor, show kindness, or be compassionate toward an inferior. An inferior?? Another definition said 'someone of lower social status.'

So I don't have all my thoughts together but I have a TON of questions. So here are a few I am throwing around. What do you think???

1. Is there a difference between being Gracious and being merciful?
2. When is being gracious easy? When is it hard?
3. How have I felt when someone acted graciously toward me? Did that change the way I act toward others?
4. What other virtues should I have so I can be better and being gracious?
5. What can I do to improve how 'gracious' I am to others?

The LORD is gracious and merciful, slow to anger and abounding in steadfast love. Psalm 145:8





No comments: