Thursday, October 9, 2008

Save the trees!

I am by no means what people would call a "tree hugger." Not that I have anything against "tree huggers," but just to set the record straight before I continue this blog...I am not a tree hugger. With that said, I can also say that I do like trees ( I do realize that being a 'tree-hugger' has to do with much more than trees). At the end of last week Mark and I realized that two huge trees that are across the street from our appartments had been stripped of their limbs. They were naked. We had a short discussion on how we did not appreciate seeing these once beautiful trees, we would play catch under, naked...not to mention I'm sure the trees themselves were even more unappreciative of their nakedness.
So this morning when I woke up I saw that both trees were now being chopped down altogether, you can imagin my disgust. I just want to say on record to anyone who will listen that I very much disagree with the decision to chop down these two once beautiful trees. I just cannot see how they were hurting anything. In fact, I would argue that BOTH trees were providing some wonderful shade for those of us who live around them. There was NO part of either tree that was dying or dead. So my question is...WHY! They were harming no one, and I can't see how they were even in the way. So the next time you all are thinking of cutting down trees...think first. Don't just start chopping away.





1 comment:

gloria said...

So my question is this: Did yall play naked catch under the trees or were the trees naked after yall played catch...? Maybe they were "Giving Trees," making nice boats or homes or stumps for people.